Article on BBC BASIC on Hackaday.

Comments

• Soruk wrote: »
    Thought you'd like to see.
    Thanks for the heads-up, it's by no means the first time BBC BASIC has been featured at Hackaday.
    I've replied there to try to clear up a couple of (inevitable) misunderstandings.
  • Predictably, the traffic to my site caused by this post at Hackaday has caused the bandwidth to be exceeded, and it's not accessible (even by me)! You'd think, in this day and age, there would be some way of increasing the bandwidth by paying more, but I'm already on the top tier offered by that particular hosting company (50 Gbytes per month).
  • Soruk
    edited November 2023
    Just a thought, you could create a new repository on GitHub to host your releases, that would take the strain off your own server for the downloads.
    https://www.labnol.org/internet/free-file-hosting-github/29092/

Edit: If you needed to post a backup of your bbcbasic.co.uk site you could also do it here?
    https://pages.github.com/?(null) - for example create bbcbasic.github.io
  • Richard_Russell
    edited November 2023
    Soruk wrote: »
    Just a thought, you could create a new repository on GitHub to host your releases, that would take the strain off your own server for the downloads.
    I assume (but don't know for sure) that it's not the downloads that are principally using up the bandwidth but more general accesses to the web pages, images, manual, forum, Wiki etc.

If I wanted to move the downloads I'd probably put them at bbcbasic.net (that has no bandwidth limit other than governed by Fair Use terms) but nevertheless the GitHub option is something to consider.

The annoying thing is that once my bandwidth limit has been exceeded I lose even access to cPanel so there's nothing I can do in mitigation, or even find out what has been consuming the data.
  • I assume (but don't know for sure) that it's not the downloads that are principally using up the bandwidth but more general accesses to the web pages, images, manual, forum, Wiki etc.
    Of the more than 50 Gbytes total bandwidth usage this month so far, only about 16 Gbytes was downloads. Significant, but not dominant. Look at what happened to the usage today, presumably as a result of the Hackaday article. From averaging just under 1 Gbyte per day it shot up to 16 Gbytes, and the day isn't finished yet:

3q1mvut0in2i.png